Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Meeting a God

Last Saturday, I had an encounter with a god!

Well, actually, his name was Neil Gaiman. Anyone who's visited this blog before will find the name familiar. I had mentioned him once or twice you see, he only happens to be my hero. I can easily say that he is one of my biggest inspirations and idols in the world of literature.

Anyhow, Mr Gaiman had a book signing in Norwich and Karen and I traveled the few miles especially for the occasion. I wasn't going to let this opportunity go to waste. And I'm glad I didn't.

The event was held at Ottakar's bookstore and quite a few people turned up for it. The queue zigzagged like a snake around the stork's ailse! I must admit, I did get a bit nervous. Hell, this guy was my idol. I've read almost all of his work - both novels and graphic ones too - and I worship his creations. His Sandman books simply changed my life.

I took my hardback Anansi Boys copy and the paperback Marvel 1602 comic book with me for him to sign. Gaiman was exactly how I expected him to be, genuinely nice, friendly and - er - a bit scruffy! We spoke briefly, but I'll never forget it. Unfortunately, I had taken a photo on a digital camera but it was mistakingly wiped out, something that was as close as a catastrophic-traumatic disaster to me as they could get.

Lastly, if you've not read anything for Gaiman yet, I urge you to do. You are more than likely to enjoy it. And I'm a happy bunny for actually meeting the man in person.

No comments: