Thursday, May 26, 2005

Enter Your Title Here

I am still waiting to hear back on my two reviews for QuixotiQ which I am expected from In the Library Reviews and Fallen Angel Reviews. Hopefully, they’ll be available soon. FAR will also be posting an interview with yours truly in the next few days or so. As for the writing, I’ve written an extra 900+ words on second novel Buried.

Two films I’ve seen over the week that has left a strong and lasting impression on me. I *heart* Huckabees - one of the most philosophically challenging, quirkiest, funniest and visually original films I’ve seen, and the magnificently sad, realistically moving The Sea Inside (Spanish) which tells the real life story of Spaniard Ramon Sampedro who fought a 30-year campaign in favour of his right to die with dignity.

I’ve just finished reading Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. It’s a book that I’ve got mixed feelings about. I hated it when I first started reading, when I finished, I wished that there were more pages in it!

I won’t get into the details of the story, characters or plot, but I’ll just say that this was a book that quite literally grew on me. What really drew me to it more and more as I flipped through the pages was the relevancy I found in it not only to our modern life here in Bahrain, but also to my personal way of thinking and my own perspectives towards life and all that constitutes a modern/conservative community, even though it was written in the early 60s.

And Yates’ language is beyond belief. He was a way with words that can turn the most dull and mundane aspect of our lives into a full-blown, multi-textured portrait. This is truly a masterpiece in every sense of the word. And there is so many pathos, philosophical viewpoints as well as moral and social issues to keep your mind occupied for days.

No comments: