Friday, July 08, 2005

Moments Like These

Saying that I was lucky wouldn’t be appropriate. Saying that I came close to dying, wouldn’t really be true. If you go into too many what ifs we’ll be left with a heavy heart and a defeated soul.

Today, on the morning of July 7, I was at King’s Cross station in London. I left the station, only several minutes before a series of explosions occurred at that very same area I was at.

Yes, I could’ve died today, or something. If I had gone with my intention of spending more time in London in that same area, I might not have been writing this now. Instead, I just opted to take the 8.45 train to Cambridge. And thus escaped the carrange.

Does this make me feel lucky, or more alive? No, it does not. On the contrary. It depresses me and angers me.

While I was in the station, waiting for the train and trying to make up my mind what to do next, I kept watching the many people around. I saw middle aged businessmen and I saw young lovers. I saw wild teenagers and aging mothers. Some were smiling, others had anxious looks on their face, perhaps worried about their mortgage, or their marriage. I saw moments of life. Some made me smile, some made me reflect.

Why would anyone want to harm these people? All they are doing is living their life. Nothing more, nothing less.

Once I got to the Cambridge station, I heard an announcement that there would be no more trips to London due to security reasons. I had not paid heed to this. Maybe just another bomb threat, or some railway malfunction.

It was only several hours later that I heard the details of what had happened. I was frightened, angry and very much disturbed.

Life is beautiful. Why destroy it? Why?!

It’s moments like these that should bring us all human beings closer together. We are one and the same. We are beautiful. We are life. We are love. They cannot take that away from us. We won’t let them.

4 comments:

Mahmood Al-Yousif said...

Ali, I'm glad you're ok. Stay safe and see you when you come back home. Please be careful.

Crowe said...

A beautiful response to horrific events. Glad you are safe.

Cavan said...

Glad to hear you're alright, Ali. Horrible that such a thing had to happen at all, let alone during your visit there.

SillyBahrainiGirl said...

Terror has no face.
Glad you are fine ;)