Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Sliders

I remember this show being one of my faves as a teenager. It was one of the few that I enjoyed back then. There weren't many good ones anyway, and I wasn't that big a TV puff. But Sliders was something different and I loved the characters and the whacky adventures they went on.

MBC4 has been showing reruns of the first couple of seasons (the best in my opinion) and I found myself appreciating the show even more now than I did before, revisiting the various parallel worlds that Professor Arturo, Quinn, Wade and Rembrandt went through in their quest to find home again. For a summary of what it is about check out Sliders.net

The series ran for five seasons (1995/2000) but in all honesty I don't remember seeing the later episodes. I think there couldn't be a replacement for the original cast especially the role of Prof. Arturo played by the brilliant John Rhys-Davies, who was only in the first two seasons.

That was perhaps one of the shows that started a whole new wave of SF and fantasy series. It was that along with another big fave of mine, Quantum Leap! It used to be aired on Bahrain's Channel 55 believe it or not. Back then it was our only source of proper telly.

Of course there were way too many duplicates and rip offs, but in my opinion they all failed to replicate the originality of these two shows. If you get a chance check Sliders out on MB4

… they don't make them like they used to.

5 comments:

Um Naief said...

I've seen Sliders listed on MBC4, but I haven't watched it. Didn't know what it was about. Looks as though they've stopped some regular programming for new stuff during Ramadan.

I've seen Quantum Leap several times but have never been a huge fan of the show.

I much prefer XFiles and such.

Ali Al Saeed said...

The first few seasons of the X-Files were excellent. Very dark, mysterious with an interesting approach. But, as with everything else, they ruined it later on. I stopped watching it once it got silly.

I'm mostly into dark comdic shows nowadays, stuff like Monk (funny and smart) and the new My Name Is Earl and of course Scrubs, which has to be the sweetest, silliest and funniest running sitcom.

Cavan said...

I loved that show, too, back when it was on. I think the only real unfortunate part of it was that Jerry O'Connell couldn't act his way out of a paper bag...but aside from that, thumbs up.

Anonymous said...

I too enjoyed sliders back when it was shown on Channel 55 and I couldn't resist watching it all over again during Ramadhan. As you said, Sliders set the standard for the rest of the SF shows. BTW, you may be interested in LOST. It's not pure SF but it has a great blend. One of the best shows on TV these days.

Ali Al Saeed said...

Hi buzain, thanks for visiting.

Only yesterday I found out that Quantum Leap was showing on MBC4 as well! Now, i LOVE that show. Takes me back.

I can't admit that I actually kinda find LOST to be intriguing and to a certain extent it was. It's not a perfect show, but I think its better than most of the other crap on tely.