Monday, January 08, 2007

Getting Down & Dirty

On several occasions in the past few days, I've been told to slow down, to not spread myself thin and try to do too many things at the same time, which it sounds/or appears that I am.

The thing is, I worry that if I don't follow up every potential idea, they might all fall flat and I end up with nothing on my hands! On the other hand, they all might come through all together at the same time. Then I'd be screwed won't I?

So how do you manage yourself? God knows how terrible I am at that. Last year, I told myself that I would finish my second novel (that being Buried) by the end of spring. I wasn't even close.

The trick is to create a system suitable for my mood-swings and unbalanced behavioral patterns. Set "deadlines" for myself. But I've found that self-imposed deadlines don't necessarily work. Someone has to give me a deadline and a threat! (I sound like someone I know!)

Regardless, in 2007 I MUST do a number of things (these are basic ones. There are many other little bits that I won't go into right now) and in no particular order:

- Launch Moments internationally.

- Re-edit/re-draft QuixotiQ and release a new edition by summer.

- Complete the novel Buried (I have about 13000 words to go only!!).

- Re-write the feature-length script of the Red Hand.

- Contact as many literary agents as possible.

- Continue promoting & participating in Elham

- Make two short films (not including Lost & Found).

- Write and record a song!!!

3 comments:

Cerebralwaste said...

If you need any help lyrically with the song writing I would be more than glad to lend you a hand.

Um Naief said...

are you gonna sing????

mood swings and behavioral issues - you?? now, those are true signs of a good writer! :)

i don't work well w/ threats... i get so unmotivated w/ that style of management and such. you have a good year to get the things on your list done... you, to me, seem to be a person that sets goals and sticks w/ it. good luck w/ all of this.

Happy New Year!

Ali Al Saeed said...

Hey tooners!!! so good to hear again from you! u really disappeared on us for a while. I hope all is well.

Me? sing?! We'll just have to wait and see!;p

Thank again and happy new year to you too :)